Monday, October 29, 2012

Lets talk about oatmeal

My kids recently started caring a little more about oatmeal. I've been trying for over a year to get Elsje on board with the stuff, but alas. They say kids need to try something 15 times before they truly can know if they like it. I think we were at 84 times with Elsje. haha

I used to buy just the quaker oatmeal packs, you know what I'm talking about, the packs that "rehydrate" the fruit in them. This morning I woke up and after nursing my little man, went downstairs to get him something a little more filling. I went for the oatmeal packets I knew I needed to get rid of. Uh, oh...I only had ONE packet left!!! that wasn't enough for both kids. Right next to the packets, I had real oatmeal, Quaker quick min oatmeal. I decided I'd try to make clean oatmeal for my kids....cause have you looked on the back of the instant packet for nutrients??? blueberry flavored and colored fruit pieces? (not even real fruit) dried corn syrup solids?? (what the what??) food starch, sugar, dextros, glycerin (i swear you use glycerin in soap making....) vegetable oil, coloring, pyridoxine hydrochloride,  really, need I go on?? As you can see, I'm a little crazy about reading labels these days.

Here is what I ended UP giving my kids:

Blueberry Oatmeal

1 Cup milk
(next time I think I will try it with homemade almond milk)
1/2 cup quaker oats quick 1-min oats
1/4 cup frozen blueberries
agave to taste
pinch of salt

Get milk to boiling, add oats, blueberries and salt. cook for 1 min on med heat stirring occasionally. Turn off heat, let sit for a few min, then add agave till your palate says YES. I even went a step further and squished a few of the blueberries. It was fun to eat purple oatmeal, and if you ask me, kids go for fun looking food.

Here is what is in the food:

Oatmeal: 100% natural whole gran quaker quality rolled oats
Blueberries: Blueberries!
Agave: 100%pure organic blue agave nectar

My 8 month old went to town on this, and my 20 month old ate her whole bowl!!! I'm glad I can take a classic like "packaged oatmeal" and turn it into a clean eating fest. :)

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment