Friday, January 18, 2013

Clean Eating, and a freebie salad

As many of you know, I started eating "clean" about 3 months ago. I was about half way to my pre Ezra/Elsje baby weight and I needed an edge. As I don't really believe in "dieting" in the literal term, I want to be able to eat delicious food, without losing Dairy, meat, and all the good foods that should be eaten, just in small doses. I have a couple friends from Green Shakes and Giggles that live just down the street and they have helped me through the years with all my health questions. I love those girls and I'm really glad to know them, and I urge ANYONE to check their site out...it would be worth it! ANYWAY.....I love a lot of recipes they offer, but I just can't see myself and family eating that way every day. So I started looking into a happy medium: little to NO processed foods (come on, no ones perfect) to making foods that have basic clean ingredients. I have embraced this way of eating and I'm loving it. I feel better, I have more energy, and I feel SO good when I feed my kids this food. Now I won't lie....I don't feed my kids this way every day. This type of food takes a little planning and if I'm short on ingredients, my kids LOVE mac and cheese (homemade of course, but still not healthy) and hot dogs....I know...so sue me. hahahaha BUT, I'm trying, and everyday gets better. Here are some things that I have changed in our diet:

No more high fructose corn syrup
--my husband still comes home with random things, but when he walks in with the item, he says, "i bought (said item) and it has high fructose sugar in it...I'll take it to work". At least now he knows I don't approve. haha

The processed foods we do buy don't have any more than 8 ingredients listed
--and If we can't pronounce them, we don't buy the product

Reading labels
--I was shocked at the random things that were added to even things like canned tomatoes. you'd think there would be just tomatoes...but no....check your labels!!! we spend a little more buying groceries, but its worth it.

Menu planning
--I've always done this, but with clean eating, its more important to stick to that list...your food will go bad...because THERE ARE NO PRESERVATIVES IN IT! You are eating WAY more veggies and fruit so if you don't stay on top of it, you'll be wasteful.

I've replaced brown sugar and white sugar with Agave, Honey, Molasses, and Stevia.
--If something looks delicious, and I want to try it, I have to be able to replace the sugar with one of those 4 above, or we don't get it. PERIOD.

Wheat Flour
--end of story. I keep a little white flour around for those days when you need to make something with white flour, but I hardly use it.

These are just a few of the things that I've had to adjust to, but there is SO MUCH MORE! I'd say that even if you tried just a few of these things, you'd be able to tell a difference.

Last night, I wanted to get out of the house and take the kids for a little treat. We decided to go get a cupcake at a local cupcake shoppe. Can I just tell you that one bite and I was sick. Like S.I.C.K. I didn't sleep well, I was restless, and my tummy was in shambles. and you know what, thats OK! I knew I was on the right track.

Today I want to share with you one of my favorite recipes. I adapted it from another site, but it really wasn't that similar.

Avocado, Tomato, Mozz Salad

1/2 avocado diced
4-5 cherry tomatoes diced
2 oz FRESH (it has to be fresh) mozz cheese
salt and pepper to taste
drizzle of Balsamic vinegar

mix all ingredients and enjoy!!

I dare you to try it!

XOXO

niss





No comments:

Post a Comment