Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Cold in Driggs

What do you do when its 7 degrees outside in Driggs Idaho? Well, if you are Peter and I, you go snowbiking, or cross country skiing. HOWEVER, if you are 11 months and 23 months, the story is goes a bit differently. As most of you know, Peter and I have a second home in Driggs Idaho. It is VERY cold there....A LOT. We spent our New years holiday with Peters parents there this year, and we had a blast....but I felt bad for the kids because it was too cold to parade them around outside, and our activities were not really kid friendly. We also don't have a ton of toys up there, so I think they get a little bored. To liven their moods, their totally cool, creative, beautiful, crafty mom improvised. Here is what the kids and I did in 7 degree Driggs weather:



I colored rice. I used a 1:1 ratio

1 T Food coloring
1 T rubbing alcohol 
4 C rice

Then I dried it out in the oven and Elsje went to WORK SON! (you'll only get that reference if you watch ROB AND BIG, or ROB's FANTASY FACTORY)

She had a blast and by the end, she cried when I had to take her out, and the colors were all mixed together. 

Just an FYI, the food coloring did rub off on her hands a little bit. After washing her hands most of it came off, but it did stain her hands a tad. I put her in dark clothes so I couldn't tell you if any stained her shirt. 


The next day......



Moon sand. Its flour and baby oil. thats it! its got the texture almost like sand, you can mold it, shape it, roll it into a ball, and then crush it and start over. I failed to get a pic of both kids in the tub with it, but below is a pic of what happens when you look away for literally one second...your youngest shoves a bunch into his mouth. yup....lets just say his poop smelled like baby oil for a day or so....hahaha


I loved this, but next time I may color it. It was pretty boring just white, but again, Elsje cried when I took her out. Both kids enjoyed this very much. 


And just because most of you are thinking I made snowbiking up....




**I use the bathtub for EVERY messy project we do at home. Its almost always dry because I bathe the kids at night now, and you can put the stopper down so nothing goes down the drain. easy cleanup for the kids and the project. A quick rinse and ta-da!!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment